Know all the health benefits of honey
Mar 08, 2022
The benefits of honey are immense especially the pure and additive free honey is the most natural superfood for good health. The Corona virus pandemic has made many people switch to natural immunity boosters and honey is most prominent among them.
A medical remedy since ancient days, honey uses are extensively seen in Ayurveda for healing wounds, treating ulcers, respiratory irritations and skin infections. Honey is also effective in promoting healthy and glowing skin free from pimples.
Benefits of honey in treating diseases
According to a review published in the “International Quarterly Journal of Ayurveda”, honey is effective in the treatment of eye diseases, throat infections, asthma, tuberculosis, hiccups, dizziness, fatigue, hepatitis, constipation, piles, eczema, arthritis, obesity, diarrhoea and wounds.
Honey can boost immunity and cause cancer cell death by apoptosis, a mechanism that allows self-destruction of cells.
Studies indicate that raw honey is more beneficial for health as it is higher in anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and contains health benefitting pollen.
TOP 8 HEALTH BENEFITS OF HONEY
- Anti-bacterial – Since honey naturally contains hydrogen peroxide, it is an antiseptic and can kill unwanted bacteria and fungus.
- Immunity booster – The presence of high antioxidants it activates and protects the immune system.
- Remedy for cold & throat infections – Due to its antibacterial properties benefits of honey can speed up the treatment for sore throat and cough.
- Heals wounds – Honey’s osmotic effect (draw water out of damaged tissues) promotes rapid and improved healing.
- Benefits skin – The antibacterial and antiseptic properties of honey help get rid of dirt and bacteria. It can be a great face pack for a healthy glowing skin.
- Controls cholesterol – Regular consumption of honey with almonds helps lower cholesterol levels.
- Natural energiser – The presence of natural sugars along with enzymes, vitamins and minerals make honey a superfood for instant energy.
- Promotes sound sleep – Honey releases serotonin that improves mood. This is converted to melatonin which regulates the quality of sleep.
LOOK OUT FOR THESE QUALITIES IN HONEY
While purchasing honey, it is important that you must choose pure honey without additives.
Free from pasteurisation – Natural honey contains various bio active compounds called as polyphenols which have a number of health benefits. Pure honey does not go through any process of pasteurisation as it can destroy honey’s natural enzymes and lose out on natural antioxidants and nutrients.
Right temperature – This factor is important while gathering and transporting pure honey because too much exposure to heat can lead to the destruction of enzymes and decomposition of simple sugars present in pure honey.
Free from additives – One of the most important factors that determine purity of honey is the absence of artificial flavours and added sugars. Pure honey will have the properties of various flora naturally imparted in it.
Quality tests – Standardised purity tests like NMR test scans honey with reference profiles to check if honey is pure and free from additives.
Appearance – Pure honey does not look shiny. It is usually cloudy in appearance with a hint of floral smell.
Points to remember about honey
Pure honey tends to crystallise. Place the bottle in a bowl of warm water to reliquefy.
Honey lasts for a long time because of its acidity, hydrogen peroxide and absence of water.
Honey should not be given to infants under 12 months as it can lead to infant botulism, a serious gastrointestinal condition.
Avoid refrigeration of honey.
Diabetics can use honey moderately as it affects blood sugar levels.
Additive free pure honey is safe and effective
Remember, you can get maximum benefits of honey only if it is pure and additive free. So, make the right choice while purchasing honey. Committed to bring world class food with its integrity intact, Nature’s Box www.naturesbox.in specialises in pure honey that is gathered from the nectar of various medicinal flowers whose health benefitting properties are naturally imparted without adding any flavours and preservatives.